1868 HISTORY OF HOWELL
Livingston County, Michigan


EARLY SETTLERS & BUILDINGS

 

      It will be seen that we have been forced to be somewhat desultory in this book, and that, too, from the very limitations of the history. A sparseness of facts always renders classification and method very difficult. While in the way of giving lists of names, we will present the names of those who settled in Howell before 1838, but have since removed. They are as follows:

David H. Austin Josiah P. Jewitt
Jonathan Austin Peter Johnson
Peter Brewer John B. Kneeland
Huram Bristol Nathan T. Kneeland
F. J. B. Crane Leny Lyon
Sherburne Crane Morgan Lyon
Alvin Crittenden Henry Pettingill
Justin Durfee Solomon Pettingill
Francis Field Joseph Porter
O. J. Field Oliver Reed
Alexander Fraser John Russel
Hezekiah Gates Gottleib Schraft
Merritt S. Havens Jacob Schraft
James E. Head Watson G. Thomas
Daniel Hotchkiss Henry Tobias
Len Hotchkiss John F. Watson
William Hudson Whitely Woodruff


     We also herewith append the names of those who have settled in the township or village, since the 1st of May 1838, but who have since died or moved away. They are as follows:

CARPENTERS -- REMOVED
Elijah Coffren Solomon Shy
Joseph Grant Isaac Peterson
William Miles Abraham Peterson
Hiram Pearson  

 

CARPENTERS -- DEAD
William Barrett Norman Dexter
Philo Curtis Galen Phillips

 

 

MILLWRIGHTS -- REMOVED
Edmund Hart

BLACKSMITHS -- REMOVED
Henry Carnes James Phelps
Ira Emerick James Raines
Levi Hoyt Adam Rorabacher
James Lawther Ezekiel Sabin
William McOmber William Stedman

MASONS -- REMOVED
John Jones Eli Snyder

 

BOOT AND SHOEMAKERS -- REMOVED
Barnhart & Harger Levi Hiscock

 

 

HARNESS MAKERS -- REMOVED
Eli Carpenter Almon Hiscock
James Fitzgerald  

 

 

TAILORS -- REMOVED
William Brown William Dunlap
Alonzo Curtis Malloy & Harington

 

 

TAILORS -- DEAD
William Malone Daniel Sweeney

 

 

TINNERS -- REMOVED
Charles Barbour Lewis Damon
Owen Chapman  

 

 

JEWELERS -- REMOVED
Sidney Hollister John Long

 

 

MERCHANTS -- REMOVED
R. A. Beal Franklin Lombard
John Bush Albert Pixley
William Carlisle Gideon Ramsdell
John D. Gifford William Riddle
Clark & Hopkins Jessee Rumsey
Hamilton & Peebles--
Peebles retired
Lemuel Spooner
Loren K. Hewett Enos B. Taylor
Hinman & Bush--
Bush died
Josiah Turner
N. G. Isbell   

 

 

ATTORNEYS -- REMOVED
James H. Ackerman Lewis H. Hewett
William A. Clark Loren K. Hewett
John B. Dillingham Justin Sawyer
C. C. Ellsworth Jerome Turner
John  Farnsworth Josiah Turner
Richard Hall Burt Wheedon

 

 

PHYSICIANS -- REMOVED
William Doalman H. J. Rumsey, died
Nicholas Hurd Thomas R. Spence
Charles A. Jeffries  

 

 

CLERGY-- REMOVED
Rev. Mr. Bachman Rev. Mr. Howell
Rev. Mr. Banwell, Rev. Mr. Kennedy
Rev. Mr. Bassey Rev. Mr. Lilley
Rev. Mr. Bridge Rev. Mr. McBride
Rev. Mr. Cochrane Rev. Mr. Mills
Rev. Mr. Cochrane Rev. Mr. Root
Rev. Mr. Dayfoot Rev. Mr. Roscoe
Rev. Mr. Dean Rev. Mr. Sutton
Rev. Mr. Eaton Rev. Mr. Westlake
Rev. Mr. Grannis Rev. Mr. White
Rev. Mr. Gregory  

 
(P.37)
Buildings -- By Whom Owned and Erected

 
     The east business building on the north side of Grand River street, is a brick one, three stories high, and erected by Geo W. Lee and F. J. Lee. It is now owned by Francis Monroe, E. P. Gregory and Henry Mills. Next on the west is a frame building, erected by William H. Buckland, and now owned by Leonard Haynes. The third and fourth are frame buildings, built and now owned by Almon Whipple. The fifth is a three story brick structure, built by Almon Whipple and George Greenaway, and now owned by Greenaway. The first building on the west side of East street, is a frame one erected by William Riddle, and now owned by Alexander McPherson. The second one west is a brick structure, built by Isaac W. Bush and Jno. McPherson, and now Owned by Joseph B. Skillbeck and McPherson Sons. The third is a frame building, owned by John J. Van Dusen. The fourth is a frame building owned by Mrs. Naylor. The fifth is a two story brick building, erected by Luther Glover, and the sixth, a frame building, both of which are owned by Wm. L. Knapp and M. J. Staley. The seventh is a frame building, owned by F. D. Sabin. The first building west of Walnut street, is a two story brick structure, erected by James Lawther. The second and third are frame buildings, all owned by B. W. Cardell. Fourth is a frame building, built and owned by Geo. Greenaway. The two first buildings west of Centre street, are frame buildings, owned by the firm of Clark, Wykoff, Galloway & Blackman. The first shop west of Chestnut street, is a frame one, owned by Wilson Sowles. The second is a two story (P.38) frame building, owned by John G. Mason and Gen. W. Clark.

     Commencing on the south side of Grand River street, the first building east of Walnut street, is a frame one, erected by Daniel Sweeney, and now owned by Edward McGum. The second is the Post Office. The third is a frame building owned by Thomas Donnelly. The fourth is a two story brick structure, erected by William Jewett and Z. Fobes Crossman, and Brockway, and Embury. It is now owned by those persons. The fifth one is a two story frame building, erected by William B. Smith, and now owned by L. C. Dean and John Jones.

     The first building east of East street, is a two story frame building, well known as Union Hall, and now owned by V. R. T. Angell. The present landlords are Messrs. Harvey and Coleman. The second one is also two stories high, and a frame structure, owned by Ira C. Huntley. Third--a three story brick building, erected by Derastus Hinman Richard P. Bush and Loren K. Hewett, and Low owned by
John H. Galloway and Sardis F. Hubbell. The fourth one is a two story frame building, erected and owned by Jas. Swiney. The fifth is a two story brick building, erected by Edward F. Gay, in 1843. It was the first brick structure in Howell. It is owned by Elbert C. Bush. Sixth--a two story frame building erected by William B. Smith, and at present owned by Andrew Blanck. The seventh, eighth and ninth are owned by the heirs of Nicholas Sullivan. The tenth is a two story frame building, owned by Milo L. Gay. The eleventh is a frame structure, owned by Jacob H. Fourge. The twelfth is a frame building, erected by O. J. Field, and now owned by (P. 39) the heirs of Joseph M. Gilbert. The thirteenth is a frame building, owned by William R. Griffith. The fourteenth and fifteenth are frame structures, erected by Levi Hiscock and Almon Hiscock, and now owned by John Cummisky. The first building east of Court street, is a two story frame structure, erected by William Shaft, and now owned by Handel Winship. The first two shops south of Grand River street, and on the west side of East street, are two story frame buildings, erected and owned by William R. Melvin. The first three buildings south of Sibley street, and on the west side of East street, are owned by Messrs. Clark, Wykoff, Galloway and Blackman. The first building south of Sibley Street, on the east side of East street, is the livery stable of William E. Huntley and Ira C. Huntley The first buildings south are the wagon and blacksmith shops of Francis Melvin. The three shops situated north of Grand River street, and on east side of East street, are owned by Almon Whipple.

© 2000 CFC Inc. All Rights Reserved

http://www.LivGenMI.com/1868historyhowellsettler.htm

For All Services Related to the Internet Click Above!