Go directly to Samuel Galloway
158 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY
The territory composing this township was, prior to the organization of Union County, embraced in the counties of Delaware and Madison. the northern portion in the former and the southern portion in the latter. The township, as originally formed by the County Commissioners of Delaware County, included the northern portion of its present territory, and a large scope of the western portion of the present territory of Union County, extending northward to the northern boundary line of the county. After the erection of Union County, in 1820, on the 12th day of March, 1821, at a meeting of the Commissioners of Union County, "agreed, that. the County of Union be divided into townships as follows: Beginning at the southwest corner of Union County, running east five and one-half miles; thence north six miles; thence north to the north boundary of Union County, all west to be Union Township." Subsequently, in June, 1822, Liberty Township was erected, embracing all the northern portion to the northern boundary of the county. In 1827, Allen Township was formed, which again curtailed the boundaries of Union. It is now bounded north by Allen and Paris Townships, east by Paris and Darby, south by Madison County and west by Champaign County. The surveys of Union, begun in 1799. were as follows: June 7, 1799, for Lucas Sullivant, 200 acres, Survey No. 3,311; Lucas Sullivant, Deputy Surveyor, January 21, 1807, for Warren Cash, 100 acres, Survey No. 3,196. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., November 5, 1807, for James Waters, 400 acres, Survey No. 3,459. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., May 31, 1802, for Elizabeth Rickman, widow of Dr. William Rickman, 1,080 acres, Survey No. 4,0711. Joseph Kerr, D. S., October 26, 1813, for Robert Kays and Lucas Sullivant 366 2/3 acres, Survey No. 4,277. Walter Dun, D. S., October 3, 1806, for Robert Kays, 2,000 acres, Survey No. 4,278. Lucas Sullivant, D. S., December 12, 1805, for Frederick Stanton and Daniel Bailey, assignees, 283 acres, Survey No. 4,735.James Galloway, Jr., D. S., May 20, 1806, for Obadiah Smith, 466 2/3
Page 159 Blank
Page 160 Picture of John Blair
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 161
acres, Survey No. 4,807. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., December 12, 1805, for John Cole, 100 acres, Survey No. 4,818. James Galloway Jr., D. S., George Young enters 100 acres, on the west side of south fork of Darby Creek, Survey No. 4,821 (not surveyed). May 20, 3806, for Absolom Bainbridge, assignee, 400 acres, Survey No. 4,805. James Galloway Jr., D. S., June 8, 1806, for William Heth, 200 acres, Survey No. 4,946. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., January 21, 1807, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 80 acres, Survey No. 5,038. James Galloway, Jr,, D. S., January 22, 1807, for Alexander Kerr, assignee, 150 acres, Survey No. 5,127. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., March 28, 1807, for Robert Means, assignee, 700 acres, Survey No. 5,265. James Galloway, Jr., D. S , June 6, 1814, for Thomas Holt, 200 acres, Survey No. 5,291. Walter Dun, - D. S., March 27, 1807, for Robert Means, 200 acres, Survey No. 5,301. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., July 28, 1807, for Hugh Montgomery, 100 acres, Survey No. 5,475. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., December 20, 1807, for John Patterson, assignee, 100 acres, Survey No. 5,602. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., February 27, 1808, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 200 acres, Survey No. 5,708. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., June 20, 1808, for the representatives of Robert Young, 1,000 acres, Survey No 5,726. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., June 15, 1808, for Samuel Finley, 255 acres, Survey No. 5,740. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., July 21, 1809, for Richard Apperson, 300 acres, Survey No. 6,312. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., July 22, 1809, for Richard Apperson, and Beverly Stubblefield, 353 2/3 acres, Survey No. 6,316. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., March 10, 1810, for Andrew Alexander, assignee, 200 acres, Survey No. 6,543. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., August 15, 18 11, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 100 acres, Survey No. 7,142. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., April 24, 1812, for David Comer, assignee, 200 acres, Survey No. 7,406. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., April 24, 1812, for Alexander Reed, assignee, 100 acres, Survey No. 7,407. James Galloway, Jr.,D.S., July 19, 1815, for Benjamin Hough, assignee, 172 acres, Surveys No. 7,472 and 7,677. Walter Dun, D. S., October 24,1812, for Thomas Moore, 1, 500 acres, Survey No.7,491. Walter Dun, D. S., August 29,1812, for John Graham, assignee, 640 acres,Survey No.7,474. Walter Dan, D. S., December 8, 1817, for William Robinson and John A. Fulton, assignees, 500 acres, Surveys No. 7,492 and 9,461. Walter Dun, D. S., October 27, 1813, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 100 acres, Survey No. 7,734. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., May 15, 1813, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 30 acres, Survey No. 7,737. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., October 26, 1813, for Anthony Walke, assignee, 284 acres, Surveys No. 7,770 and 7,836. Walter Dun, D. S., June 28. 1813, for Walter Dun, assignee, 80 acres, Survey No. 7,771. Walter Dun:, D. S., July 20, 1813, for Joseph Parrott, 800 acres, Survey No. 7,789. Walter Dun, D. S., July 20, 1813, for Anthony Walke, assignee, 95 acres, Survey No. 7,790. Walter Dun, D. S., April 29, 1815, for John Graham and Gross Scruggs, 260 acres, Survey No. 7,926. Walter Dun, D. S., December 24, 1813, for Robert Green, 195 acres, Survey No. 7,967. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., May 1, 1815, for Nathan Haines, assignee, and Henry Whiting, 120 acres, Survey No. 8,151. Walter Dun, D. S., June 23, 1814, for Henry Whiting, 220 acres, Survey No. 8,152. Walter Dun, D. S., September 20, 1815, for John Graham, assignee, 94 acres, Survey No. 8,153. Walter Dun, D. S., April 29, 1815, for Walter, Dun, assignee, 368 acres, Survey No. 8,414. Walter Dun, D. S., April 29,1815, for Anthony Walks, Nathan Haines, assignees, and Edward Carrington, John Marshall, Henry Heth and Henry G. Heth, executors of William Heth, deceased, 500 acres, Survey No. 8,415. Walter Dun, D. S., September 25, 1815, for James Johnston, Gross Scruggs, John Graham and Walter Dun, assignees, Survey No. 8,523. Walter Dun, D. S., April 18,
162 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
1817, for Joseph and Benjamin W. Ladd and Thomas Nowell, assignees, 120 acres, Survey No. 9,020. James Galloway. Jr., D. S., November 28, 1817, for Walter Dun, assignee, 95 acres. Survey No. 9,390. Walter Dun, D. S., November 29, 1817, for Walter Dun, assignee, 400 acres, Survey No. 9,404. alter Dun, assignee. Survey No. Walter Dun, D. S., June 6, 1818, for Walter Dun, assignee, Survey No. 9,591. Walter Dun, D. S., October 31, 1818, for the divisees of Benjamin Forsyth, deceased, assignee, 300 acres, Survey No. 0,724. Cadwallader Wallace. D. S.,. December 18, 1818, for Walter Dun, assignee, 60 acres. Survey No. 9,735. Walter Dun, D. S., April 29. 1818, for Joshua Poythross.assignee, 1,0244 acres, Survey No. 9,798. Walter Dun, D. S., June 16, 1820. for Alexander Breckenridge and William Boyce. 200 acres, Survey No. 10,338. James Taylor, D. S., January 9. 1823. for Samuel Smith 600 acres. Survey No. 12,166. Walter Dun, D. S., October 26, 1823, for Lucas Sullivant, assignee, 366 2/3 acres, Survey No. 12,214. Walter Dun. D. S.. January 18, 1825, fur Walter Dun, assignee, 70 acres, Survey No. 12,230. Walter Dun, D. S., January 18, 1825 , for Walter Dun. assignee, 185 acres, Survey No. 12,338. Walter Dun, D. S.. December 12, 1823, for James Galloway, Jr., assignee, 38 acres, Survey No. 12,349. James Galloway, Jr., D. S.. December 25, 1824, for Joseph Spencer, 8 acres, Survey No. 12.494. James Galloway, Jr., D. S., March 3, 1833, for Thomas Lucas, 120 acres, Survey No. 12,674. E. P. Kendrick, D. S., January 10, 1825. for Walter Dun, assignee. 141 acres, Survey No. 12,749. Walter Dun. D. S., September 6. 1839, for Nathaniel Massie, assignee, 30 acres, Survey -No. 14,192. Nathaniel Massie, D. S., Joshua Poythross enters 1,066 2/3 acres, Survey No. 9,107. April 8, 1817, Walter Dun and Joshua Poythross, assignees, enter 8201 acres Survey No. 0,594. January 1, 1823, Lucas Sullivant, assignee, enters 64 1/3 acres. Survey No. 12,215.
SURFACE, SOIL, ETC.
The surface of the greater portion of this township is remarkably level, a small portion in the eastern part and along the Big Darby is rolling and slightly hilly, while the central and southern portions are a part. of the celebrated "Darby Plains," noted for their level surface, and deep, rich soil. consisting of black vegetable mold. Originally, as the first settlers found these plains, they consisted of prairie and oak openings, 'the former covered with an exuberance of grass, which in some portions grow to an enormous height; some of the settlers testifying that, as they rode through it on horseback, they could grasp a handful on each side of the horse, and tie them together over the rider's head. This is an excellent grazing and stock Conntry, and from its first settlement, the people have devoted much of their time and attention to the stock business. During a few years of recent date, they have given attention to ditching, tiling and draining these lands, which are thus rendered excellent for corn. and wheat. Here, as elsewhere, the first settlers sought the higher and more rolling lands, along the streams, upon which they located, considering the prairies on these plains as worthless-, too flat and wet to ever admit of cultivation, or even to be habitable. But early in the settlement of this township, colonies from the Now England States came here, and, appreciating the true value of these rich lands, with trite sagacity and sound judgment selected and located upon them; and although, for some years, they endured sickness, and inconvenience attendant upon the work of first improvement, and caused largely by decaying vegetation, yet now they are possessed of as fine farms as can be found in the State. When these prairies were first taken up, they were purchased for about one-half the price of the higher and more rolling lands, a large area being bought for 60 to 75 cents per acre, now they are worth about twice as much per acre as the hilly clay lands. This township
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 163
is well watered. The Big and Little Darby, with their many tributaries, drain almost every part of the township. The Big Darby enters this township in its northwestern portion, and courses in a southeastern direction, leaving the township on its eastern border, about midway between the northern and southern boundaries. In its course, commencing in the northwest corner of the township, it receives from the southwest the following tributaries; Watson Run, Hay Run and Prairie Run; from the north or east side it receives Buck Run, which courses entirely through the northeastern portion of the township in a southeastern course, emptying into the Darby at the east boundary line,. The Little Darby enters this township near its southwest corner, from Madison County, courses northeast until it receives Treacle Crook, thence flows south. east and leaves the township at its extreme southeast corner. Treacle Creek is its principal tributary, and enters from Champaign County, near the southwest corner of the township, about one-half mile west of Irwin Station. It courses northward about two and one half miles, thence east one and a half miles, thence south to the Little Darby, enclosing with the latter a large tract of probably 3,000 acres of land, and almost making an island of it, there being only an isthmus in the northwest corner of the township, between the head-waters of Treacle Creek and Little Darby, of about one-half mile in width.
The principal productions of the soil here are wheat and corn, the rais ing of which and the raising of stock claim almost the entire attention of the farming community. In richness of soil, in productiveness and in wealth, this township now ranks as one of the first in Union County.
The territory comprised in this township was among the earliest portions of the county to open its broad and beautiful lands to settlement. The first white man to penetrate the wilderness of this domain as a settler, was George Reed, who settled on the Big Darby, near Milford, in 1799. He was a native of Pennsylvania, and became a very useful citizen of Union Town. ship. About 1810-12, he erected a grist mill and a saw mill at Milford, the history of which is given elsewhere in this work. He also laid out and platted the town of Milford. He appears to have been a man of some means, of great energy and industry, and one of the leading active spirits of that day. He died September 28, 1836, aged sixtyseven years.
Robert Snodgrass, a native of Pennsylvania, married Jane Reed, a sister of the above George Reed, and emigrated to this county in the fall of 1800, and settled on the Big Darby, on Survey No. 3,311, where they lived and died. Mr. Snodgrass was a weaver by trade, which business he followed through life, in connection with farming. He died September 30, 1834, aged seventysix years. His wife died January 13, 1833, aged seventy years. Of their children, Jane, married Thomas Reed, is now deceased; James was twice married, first to Polly McDowell, second to Mrs. Phelps, nee King, is now deceased; Hannah married William Porter and died in this county a few years ago; William married Sarah Robinson and died in Marysville about 1840 (the above children were born in Pennsylvania, and those that follow in Ohio); Robert was the first child born in this township, and the third in Union County. He was born December 2, 1800, and January 1, 1828, married Ellen, daughter of Mrs. Jane Robison, who resided on the north bank of Big Darby, in Darby Township, about seven miles below Milford Center. Mr. Snodgrass was born on the north bank of Darby Creek, opposite the village of Milford, in a cabin which stood not far from the site now occupied by the railroad water tank. In his childhood, he had for playmates the Indian children
164 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
in the vicinity. He and his wife celebrated their golden wedding in 1878, and he died on the 9th of February of that year. His wife died in 1879. They had seven children-Samuel, married Nancy Morrison, he died February 23, 1870, aged sixty-six years, and his wife about three years later; George, married Hannah Fox, February 8, 1828, with whom he lived nearly fifty-four years, she died December 8, 1881 (Mr. Snodgrass still survives, and resides with his children in Marysville, Columbus and Urbana); Thomas, the youngest child, married Eliza Galloway, he died about 1879, his wife still survives. Of the above children, Robert, George and Thomas were born in Union Township, were all married the same year (1828), and all lived to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding, which took place in Marysville as follows: That of Robert and wife, January 1, 1878; George and wife, February 8, 1878, and that of Thomas and wife, October 20, 1878. Of this family of true pioneers, George is the only surviving member. He removed to Marysville in 1824; was Assistant Clerk of the county, and has remained a resident of Marysville nearly all of the time since. He served as Deputy Sheriff three years. He is now, probably, the oldest resident who was born in the county; is seventy-eight years of age and enjoying good health.
Paul Houston, who married. Miss Reed, sister to George Reed, settled here in 1800, about the same time with Mr. Snodgrass. These were. perhaps, the only three families in this township in the year 1800. In 1801 or 1802, came Samuel Reed, first, brother of George Reed (he married Eliza Lackey); Samuel Reed, the second (no relation to Samuel the first); Vandever Reed.
David Reed and perhaps a few others. Three brothers, Richard, William and John Gabriel, were among the next earliest settlers on the Darby. As to the exact date of their settling here, we find a diversity of statements fixing it from 1800 to 1810 but we think from a preponderance of evidence, that it was not later than 1805, and perhaps as early as 1801 or 1802. They were citizens who took an active, leading part in the organization of the township and county, and in the general improvements, growth and progress of the county. William became Associate Judge of the county. Of his children, John became a man of more than ordinary ability, and represented this district in the Senate of Ohio; he died January 10, 1872, aged seventy-one years., One daughter married David Burnham; is deceased William, never married; was a man of great ability, but with many eccentricities; he represented this county in the Legislature, and became quite wealthy. He died January 12, 1876, aged sixty-five years; is buried in the Milford Cemetery, where is erected to his memory a large and fine monument. One other son of William Gabriel, Sr., was engaged in the mercantile trade in Bellefontaine; is now deceased. Richard Gabriel was the father of James Gabriel. John Gabriel was the father of John J. Gabriel; John died January 10, 1872, aged seventy-one years. William Gabriel, Sr., died November 20, 1847, aged seventy-six years. There was a large family of the Gabriels, and many of them took an active part in the affairs of the county and township and were among its best and most worthy citizens.
Rev. Samuel Woods, father of Judge W. W. Woods, and Samuel his brother, settled on the Big Darby in 1806.1 He was a native of Pennsylvania; was a noted and popular preacher at an early day, becoming the first minister of the Presbyterian Church at Milford, in 1808; or, as it was then called, "Upper Liberty." He was ordained to the ministry June 15, 1808; he died April 17 1815 aged thirty-six years. Alexander Reed brother of Samuel Reed the second from Pennsylvania settled here about 1810
David Comer, a native of Pennsylvania, settled on the Plains, on Survey No. 7,406, about 1810-12, and was one of the first Commissioners of Union
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 165
County, a Major of the militia and a leading, active citizen. He remained a citizen here till his death.
John Irwin was born in York County, Penn., and was the son of William and Eleanor (Brisband) Irwin, he a native of Ireland and she of Scotland. He married Anna Steel. of Ohio County, Va., in 1791. In 1806, he settled in Union County, Union township, on a farm in the southwest corner of said township, where he resided till his death in 1830, aged about sixty years. His death was caused by injuries received from being thrown from a young, spirited horse, soon after which he died upon the farm upon which he first settled in Union County. Mr. Irwin served as a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church of Upper Liberty (now Milford Center), and was the leader of singing in the church; was a teacher of vocal music, and had in his library a large book of tunes of his own composition with pen and ink.' He organized the first Sabbath school ever constituted in Union Township, which was conducted for some time in his own house. He sought earnestly the spiritual as well as the temporal welfare of his household, and lived to see all his children (except one, who united with another denomination) become members of the church he helped to organize after he came to Union County. Mr. Irwin was an excellent farmer, and also well versed in the mechanical arts Politically, he was a pure Jacksonian Democrat, and kept himself well acquainted with the political condition of the various governments of the world. He served as a Justice of the Peace of Union Township for several years. Anna Steel, his wife, was born in York County, Penn., a daughter of James and Mary (Harper) Steel; Harper's Ferry taking its name in honor of her father, James Harper. Miss Steel was seven years of age when the Revolutionary war commenced, and was in the fort or block house most of her time during that sanguinary struggle. Her father was one of the minutemen of the army, and kept his knapsack on his gun near the door ready to start at a minute's warning. Her ancestors were from Ireland. She died in 1854, from infirmities of old age.
John Steel Irwin, eldest son of John and Anna Irwin, was born, in Ohio County, Va., about 1793. About 1816, he married Betsey Kilpatrick, daughter of Samuel Kilpatrick, who resided on a farm three miles below Milford Center, on the north bank of Big Darby, where he died about 1844, of. consumption. Mr. Irwin served in the war of 1812 as a teamster; was a farmer and teamster by occupation, and in those days of no railroads the latter occupation took much of his attention, in hauling goods for the merchants. He was a stanch Democrat, and served as a Justice of the Peace in Darby Township, and as a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church at Milford Center. He had six sons and two daughters. Archibald Steel Irwin, his fourth son, served in. the army in the war of the rebellion, and was killed in Memphis at the time Forrest made a raid upon that town.
William Brisband Irwin, second son of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Ohio County, Va., October 2, 1793, and died October 17, 1878, from a complication of diseases incident to advanced age, aged eighty-three years. He entered the militia as the lowest commissioned officer, and was successively promoted to the office of Brigadier General, in which rank he served several years, and resigned in 1840, having served as a commissioned officer twenty-six years. He was a Justice of the Peace twenty eight years, when he removed to Leban. on, Warren Co., Ohio, leaving the office. A remarkable feature of his official capacity was, that in no case tried before him was there ever an appeal taken from his decision. He was County Commissioner several years. serving in that capacity during the erection of the old court house, and was County Surveyor about twenty years. He was a Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church
166 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
at Milford Center several years. and was likewise leader of the congregation in singing and a teacher of vocal music. After his arrival in Warren County, he was chosen Ruling Elder in the Presbyterian Church of Lebanon, April 3, 1859, serving in that capacity about nineteen years. Mr. Irwin possessed, when a boy, a natural genius as a mechanic, and when quite young, during the time his father and brother were taking their noonings, he would steal quietly away, and devote his time in constructing a saw mill, and when the time arrived to go to the afternoon's work, his father's patience was severely tried by having to call repeatedly for his son to go to work, giving him a severe reprimand. Bat one day subsequently, while Mr. Irwin was walking along the creek, the heard a paculiar noise, and upon investigation, to his surprise he saw a toy saw mill, perfect in construction, and running in good order. From this time he never dictated to his son, William, how he should employ his noonings. This was the first and only saw mill ever erected on Treacle Creek. In 1820, he erected a saw mill on Little Darby, about. two miles below the mouth of Treacle Creek. He had to go fourteen miles to procure help enough to perform the laborious work of raising it. On this errand he started the evening before, and it was raining and the creek rising, but still he anticipated no damage to his foundation timbers. But after he was gone, the creek continued to rise quite rapidly; his thoughtful wife, becoming anxious about the safety of his timbers, went to the crook, found the small timbers already beginning to float, and with her own hands hauled them to higher ground. When this was accomplished, she saw that the larger timbers were also beginning to float. Hurrying to the house, she tied her babe, seven months old, in its cradle, took the bed-cord out of her bed, ran to the creek, and, wading waist-deep into the water, placed the rope around the timbers and then made them fast to the bushes on shore and secured the frame. Thus, by the thoughtfulness, energy and bravery of this noble wife, the entire timbers for the mill were saved. Mr. Irwin was married to Anna Bigelow June 15, 1818. Six daughters and three sons were. the result of this union. James Harvey, the third child, died in infancy. The youngest two children were sons, and both served in the army in the war of the rebellion, the oldest of whom, William Lee, was discharged as unfit for further service, because of impaired health. The youngest, John Russell, was killed at Cedar Mountain, Va., August 9, 1862, aged twenty-one years and two months On September 7, 1854, William B. Irwin married,. for his second wife, Mrs. Margaret Kimble.
Mary Smyth Irwin, oldest daughter of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Ohio County, Va., about 1798. As soon as old enough, she commenced teaching school, which occupation she followed many years. She married Cyprian Lee, a merchant of Marysville. this county but had no issue. She died of consumption in 1857.
Cynthia Ann Irwin, the second daughter of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Ohio County, Va., about 1800. She married Calvin Winget about 1821, by whom she had six sons and two daughters. Her youngest son, Calvin died in the army in the late rebellion; she lied of consumption about 1844
James Hughs Irwin, third son of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Ross County. Ohio, about 1802. He was married to Polly Reynolds, daughter of Elisha and Mary Reynolds, of Union Township. Mr. Irwin was a prominent farmer, and in politics a Whig. He was an acceptable church officer, and led the congregation in singing. His wife was a member of the Christian Church, with which he also united. They had four sons and three daughters. Two of the sons were in the army of the late rebellion; Gwynn,
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 167
the third son, was severely wounded, and returned from the army with shattered health; Duane, the fourth son, died in the hospital from diseases contracted in the service. Mr. James H. Irwin settled on a farm in Union Township, where he died in June, 1841, with consumption.
Isaac Newton Irwin, fourth son of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Ross County, Ohio, about 1804, and died at about four years of age. He was a child of remarkable sprightliness of intellect, and the day before his death gave his mother directions what to do with his playthings, and told her be was going to die. She thought it his childish talk. Early in the evening, he complained of being tired, and his mother put him to bed, and then went out to milk the cows. When she returned, she asked the family where Isaac was, and was told that he was in bed; she replied. no, he was not, for she heard him out singing while she was milking. They went to his bed, and there he was-fast asleep. During the night, some of the family heard hard breathing; they arose and obtained a light, and found Isaac dying of croup; he lived but a short time.
Nancy Milton Irwin, youngest child of John and Anna Irwin, was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1806, and in 1831 married Thomas Twiford, and settled on the farm in Union County, where her parents first located. She had one son and three daughters. Her son, Smyth, served in the army three years in the late rebellion. She died in Liberty Township, this county, of consumption, in 1871.
William B. Irwin resided over fifty years in this county, and forty-three years of that time on the farm where his father, John, first settled when he was in his eleventh year. He erected the first frame house that was built in Marysville, which was for Stephen McLain.
Joseph Stewart, a native of Maryland, settled in this township in 1807. John Stokes (father of Hiram Stokes), a native of Virginia, settled in 1809, and died October 8, 1817, aged thirty-four years. Samuel Colver, a native of New England, married Miss Curry, daughter of a former Treasurer of the State; settled near Irwin Station about 1808, and became one of the most enterprising and wealthy farmers of this vicinity, and at the age of seventy years, about 1851-52, emigrated to Oregon, where be died. Thomas McDonald, a native of Tennessee, settled on Darby Creek, on Survey 6,602; he married a Miss Teeters, and remained a resident here through life. Their children were John, who married Philomelia Miller, and removed to Champaign County, where he flied; Betsy, married David Burnham, both died in Milford; Polly, married James Biggs, and died near Milford; Susan, married a Mr. Davis and removed to Dayton, Ohio, where they died; Nancy, married William Howard, and died in this township; Samuel, married Rachel Comer, and resided here till his death-, James, married Adaline Stewart, he subsequently emigrated to California; Charity, unmarried; George, married Roxie Fairfield, she died and he married Mrs. McDonald, nee Comer, and now resides in Woodstock; Julia, married James Biggs; and Duncan moved West. Mr. McDonald was an excellent neighbor and citizen, and Possessed great honor and integrity throughout his business life.
J. R. McDowell, a native of Pennsylvania, settled here about 1808-10. James Cochran, a native of Pennsylvania, settled in 1811, and died September 28, 1822, aged fifty-seven years. His wife, Mary, died July 28, 1822, aged fifty-one years. John Crawford, a native of Pennsylvania, and his wife, Margaret, with their family, came to Ohio and settled in this township in 1811. Their daughter, Hannah H., on the 12th of February, 1829, became the wife of William M. Robinson, now of Marysville, and lived to celebrate her golden wedding. Her death occurred in June, 1881, when she had reached
168 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
the age of seventy-six years. She was the mother of ten children. Her husband has been President of the Union Count Pioneer Association since its organization. They settled in Marysville in 1844.
Charles Colver, a native of New York, settled in this township in 1812, on Treacle Creek. Of his children, Standish Colver was born in New York in 1797, and was about fifteen years old when brought to this county. He was twice married; first, to Betsey Lockwood, in 1820; she died, and he married Lois M. Smith in 1840. By his first wife he had the following children: Salome, who moved West; Andrew, never married; Cynthia, married William Winget and lived in Marysville; Harriet, married Mr. Kyle, and resides near Greenfield, Ohio; Abi, deceased. Jerome, died young; and Cyrus, it is believed, also died young. By his last wife he had four children-Horace; Josephine, married William Snodgrass and resides near Wood-stock; Abi; and Emma who married a Mr. Goldsmith. Standish Colver was a millwright by trade, and erected several mills during his life. He died November 15, 1882, aged eighty-five years, having resided in this township threescore and ten years-more than the allotted period of man's life. Religiously, he was a Universalist; as a neighbor, kind and generous, and as a citizen, worthy of and possessing the confidence of his entire community.
John Parthemore, a native of Pennsylvania, came to this township and settled in 1812. Andrew Gill, from near Cincinnati, located about 1812. He came here a single man, married the Widow Cary, and settled on the Cary farm, where they remained residents till their death. Their children were as follows: John, died unmarried; Margaret, died unmarried; David, deceased, married Eleanor Piper; Jesse, married Jane Cochran, is deceased; James, became a minister of the Presbyterian Church, and married a Miss McLain (he served as Clerk of the Court of this county several years finally entered the ministry, laboring in that cause for many years; he died in Cincinnati in 1880-81); Israel, is deceased. The above were his children by his previous wife. By his last wife, Mrs. Cary, he had two children; Mason, who married and resided on the home place till his death, about middle acre, and one daughter. Mr. Andrew Gill died September 18, 1829, aged sixty-two years. Warren Rose, a native of New York. settled here about 1812-14; he married Lucy Hibbard. They had several children; some died here and some moved away; one son died in the army in the war of the rebellion. Mr. Rose was a tanner by trade, which business he followed through life, and was the second tanner in the township. Mr. Frankelberger, of whom he learned his trade, at Milford, and then became his successor in the business, was the first.
Levi Phelps became a settler here about 1812-14; was one of the early teachers of this township, and a surveyor. Hugh and John Porter, natives of Pennsylvania, became early settlers of this township; the former about 1813, and the latter in 1817. The latter became Associate Judge of the county, and both were prominent, active and useful citizens. William Porter, now a resident of the north part of Union Township, so well and favorably known, is a son of Judge John Porter, who died October 31. 1838, aged sixty-one years. His wife, Susanna, died August 14, 1824, aged forty-three years.
Judge Robert Nelson, a native of Pennsylvania, came to this township in 1813, and settled on a large tract of land which he purchased on Survey 6,602. He married Martha Mitchell. daughter of David Mitchell , one of the early pioneers. They had no issue. Mr. Nelson was one of the first Commissioners of Union County; was a thorough., energetic, business man, and became quite wealthy; was an Associate Judge several years, a most excellent man and a worthy citizen. In religion, a Seceder, or member of the United Presbyterian
Page 169 Picture of R. L. Partridge
Page 170 Blank
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 171
Church. In the latter part of his life, he retired from all active business, and died in Darby Township.
William C. Piper was a native of Washington County, Penn., of ScotchIrish parentage. His father was Robert Piper, who emigrated, with his brother James, from Ireland when both were single men. William C. was the only son of a family of six children, and when eight years old-in 1814- - emigrated with the family, and came down the Ohio River to Portsmouth, Ohio, and from there traveled northward, through the then dense wilderness, in a wagon, finally reaching the southern boundary of what is now Union County, and settled on a farm on the south side of Big Darby Creek, near the east line of what is now Union Township. As soon as the family was settled, Robert Piper, in company with Joseph Dodds, who in after years became a resident of Marysville, returned to Portsmouth after the goods. On the homeward trip, Mr. Piper was taken sick and suddenly died. It was a great blow to the family, but they found friends, and the future brought them pi prosperity. William C. took care of the family until he arrived at manhood. In 1885, he married Hannah P, Gabriel, oldest daughter of Richard Gabriel, and became the father of seven children, of whom six survived their father, the mother alone being left to mourn his loss. Mr. Piper was for thirty-four years a Trustee of Union Township, and then refused to serve longer. He lived, during the whole of his married life, on a farm on the west side of Buck Creek, at its junction with Big Darby Creek, nearly opposite the first location of his father in 1814. William C. Piper was an honored, respected, intelligent and worthy citizen. He died May 29, 1876, aged seventy years
This brings us in the history of the early settlers of Union Township to the period of the "Post Road Settlement," between Pleasant Valley and Irwin Station, which was made in 1813-14. Concerning this settlement, in April, 1882, was published an article written by John F. Sabine, of Marysville, in the Marysville Tribune, from which we extract the following: " In giving a history of the first settlement of the southern portion of Union County, I will have to go back to the beginning of this century. At this time great inducements were held out to the people of the States to form settlements in Canada East. Consequently, many persons from the neighboring State of Vermont went over the line, and very soon built up a flourishing and prosperous settlement. They remained there, prosperous and happy, until the year 1812, when the difficulties between the United States and Great Britain terminated in a war. These people, being Revolutionary soldiers, or their descendants, had too much of the spirit of '76 in them to take up arms against their countrymen, or even remain quiet spectators of the conflict; so they resolved to leave the Dominion of His Majesty George III. Accordingly, on the 20th of September of that year, the first installment took up their line of march for the far West. They were composed of the following families: Russell Bigelow (father of the celebrated Rev. Russell Bigelow), Moses Patrick, Asa Plummer, Joab Hoyt, Amos Hawley, Dr. Gideon Hawley, Peris and Joseph Walton and Nehemiah Sabine. After a tedious journey of more than six weeks, they arrived at Worthington. Ohio. The next summer, 1813, in looking for a place of permanent residence, they made choice of the Darby Plains, until then a barren waste, made purchases and built their cabins, which most of them were able to occupy late in that year or early in the next, One, Joseph Green, from the State of New York, was the first man to occupy his cabin; and for a long time it was known as the Green settlement.
" The following year, 1814, another installment from the same place followed in the wake of their predecessors, and settled with us, to wit: Israel Lockwood, James Dockum and Stephen Jackson; also, Ephraim Keyes, Oba-
172 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
diah Janes, from Vermont; Uriah Wood and Col. Jacob Fairfield, from the State of New York. These families constituted what was then known as the ' Green settlement,' on the Post road in what is now known as Union Township. Another, east of this, on the same road, in Darby Township, was formed at the same time, and was known as the'McCloud settlement,' the two extending from Irwin Station to Plain City, a distance of eleven miles. This Post road was established during the war, for the purpose of conveying the mail from Worthington to Urbana, then very important towns in Central Ohio. There were but two intermediate post offices, Darby Creek and Dublin. The former was kept by James Ewing, one of the first setters, and was for a long time the only office in what is now Union County. Most of the families composing the Green settlement were very large, many of them numbering from ten to twelve souls. By this it can be seen that we were not destitute of material to receive the benefits of free schools, which were soon put into operation, my father being the first teacher. But sickness. soon made its appearance among us to an alarming extent, in a short time decimating the inhabitants by death. This state of affairs continued for a long, time, until the country became rid of its poisonous malaria. It is now one of the healthiest portions of Central Ohio. About the year 1817, another colony, from the State of Connecticut, settled in our immediate neighborhood, known as the 'Burnham and Howard settlement.' They, together with the first settlers, helped very materially in forming the future character of the people of this portion of the county. The habits and customs of our earliest settlers differed very much from the latter. Intercourse and association had a powerful tendency to smooth down the rough points of both, and produce a similarity of character, so that at this day it is impossible to distinguish any difference from their language or address."
Having thus given the general circumstances of the above settlement, as described by the pen of Mr. Sabine, we will now try to give some particulars of each of the above families.
Russell Bigelow and wife had the following children: Luc never married, and died at the old homestead; Irena, married Joseph Mitchell, and died in Madison County; Rev. Russell, the third child, early prepared for the ministry, married a Kentucky lady of name of Erwin (he became a very prominent, popular and eloquent minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died at Columbus, Ohio); Alpheus, studied medicine and spent his life as a physician, he married a Miss Case, of Worthington, Ohio, and died in Delaware County; Dimis, Grata, Polly, Abigail and Benjamin, all died unmarried, when quite young, with milk sickness and malarial diseases; Anna, married Gen. William B. Irwin, and died at Milford of consumption, and Eliphas, who married Miriam McCloud and remained a resident of this county through life; he died in Michigan while there on a visit, but his body was brought back and interred in Union Township.
Nehemiah Sabine, married Susanna Hawkins, of Coventry, Connecticut. Their children were as follows: Hiram, the eldest, died of milk sickness in 1814; Hylas, married Hannah Balderston, and died in New Orleans of consumption in 1834; Roswell, became a prominent and popular physician at Troy, Ohio, and practiced over fifty years; he married twice, his first wife was Marv Robinson, his second Caroline Connable; he died at Troy, of pneumonia, in 1875; Laura, never married, and died at Marysville in 1880, aged eighty years; John F., married Euphemia Clement, and resides at Marysville; he has now been a resident of this county a period of seventy years, and has been intimately connected with the events, growth and progress of the county from its early settlement to the present time; has held many important offices and
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 173
positions of trust, which will be fully mentioned in the biographical sketch of Dr. Andrew Sabine in this volume; Phoebe. died at the acre of eleven years; Asbury, married Sophia Janes, he died in 1835; his widow still survives; Rebecca T., married Andrew Keyes and they now reside in Marysville; Charles W. also became a practicing physician, and settled in Miami County, Ohio, where he died of consumption; and William R., 'who died of consumption at twenty-one Years of age.
Asa Plummer, Sr.,was the father of the following children: Joseph, who married Eunice Cummings, and both died in Champaign County, Ohio; Asa. Jr.. married Malinda Buckman, and died in Delaware County, Ohio: Alvin, returned to Canada and married, and subsequently removed to Illinois; Horace did likewise; Hannah married a Mr. Hanniman, a lawyer by profession, who removed to Illinois. and served his county in the Legislature severaI Years; Reuben married the youngest daughter of John Erwin, and removed to Texas. where they both died; Wiley, married a Miss Randall. anti settled in Illinois: Clarinda, married Hyal Buckman, and both are residing in Illinois: Calista and Tallman died young, and Nelson, who removed to Illinois. Israel Lockwood, Sr., was the father of the following children: Oliver. married Miss Maynard, who died on the Darby Plains; subsequently he removed West; Polly, married Benjamin Lyon. and died in Union Township. David. married Hannah Hand, and resided in this county till his death in the spring of 1882, aged ninety years; Israel, Jr.. married Sally McCloud-, she died and he married Miss Colver. he died in this county; Sallie, died voting; Betsey, married David McCloud. he died, and she married Standish Colver. with whom she lived till her death, Walter, returned to Canada, married. and brought his wife to this county, but subsequently removed to Illinois; Rebecca, married a resident of Worthington, Ohio, and subsequently removed West. and Frederick, who died young
Moses Patrick married Clarissa Geer, and had the following children: Harriet, married Samuel Rice, Jr.; he subsequently united with the Shakers, but she. remained a resident of this county most of the time till her death; John. married Lydia Geer, of Canada, and remained a resident of this county till his death; Ira, married Laura Tarpenning, and died in this county; he was a man of fine intellect, and more than ordinary ability; Levi, married a Miss Tucker, and subsequently removed West. Moses Patrick and wife remained residents here till their death.
Dr. Gideon Hawley was, perhaps, the first physician in Union County; he married Rebecca Townsend, and subsequently moved West, where he died, and his widow returned to her friends in Canada: They had two sons; the youngest was named Micajah; both removed to the West.
Peris Walton married Miss Hannah Glazier; he died in this county; she subsequently died in Allen County, Ohio. Their children were as follows: Hannah, who died unmarried; John, married and moved West; Sallie, married Mr. Patterson; she died in this county, and he moved away a few years afterward; Maria, the youngest, removed with her mother to Allen County, Ohio.
James Dockum, Sr., was the father of the following children: William, married Miss Nancy Jones. and settled on Barron Run, Madison County, where he died; Sallie, married Mason Jones, and removed to Madison County, where she died; James, Jr., was twice married, first to Phebe Jones, second to Betsey Clement, and died in this township; Elijah, died young, unmarried; John, died young; Boardman, married a Miss Wallace, and died in Madison County; Ira, died young; Polly, married Allen Jones and moved West, and Arvilla, who died young.
174 - HISTORY OF UNION COUNTY.
Stephen Jackson, Sr.,. a Revolutionary soldier, was one of the " minutemen" at the battle of Lexington, Mass., and one who followed the British in Boston. He continued in the service of the Colonies through the war, and was a man of more than ordinary energy, ability and attainments, for that early day. He married Hannah Hawley. Their children were as follows: Stephen, Jr., married a Miss Atsit, and removed to Cincinnati, where they died; James married Margaret Whelpley; he now -resides near Elyria, Ohio, aged ninety years; Amos was pressed into the British service in Canada, was taken prisoner by the Americans, and soon after came to his parents in this county, where he married Rachel Goodenough, and now lives at West Liberty, aged eighty- eight years; Hiram, married Abbey Cooley, she died and he went to the Mormons; Truman, married a lady from near Elyria, Ohio; she died, and he subsequently married a Mormon lady, and made his home with that people; and Sophronia removed to Logan County, Ohio, where she married.
Joseph Walton married a Miss Gilbert. His children were Olive and Rebecca. The family early removed to Allen County, Ohio.
Joseph Green, a native of New York, married the widow Hamond, and settled as stated above, being the first settler to enter his cabin. He died the next year after locating here. His children were James, Samuel and Phoebe.
Uriah Wood, a native of Vermont or New Hampshire, married Dimis Bigelow, and died in the settlement. Their children were Ira, who became a practicing physician, and married Margaret Hawley, at New Philadelphia, Ohio, and finally settled at Marysville, where he practiced till his death; he died of milk sickness. Their children were Michael S., who married Eliza Thayer and died in Marysville; Polly, married Prince Alden; she is deceased; he now resides at Mechanicsburg.
Obadiah James, a native of Vermont, was the father of the following children: Jabez, died, unmarried, during the first year of their settlement; Oliver, married Hannah Clement, and subsequently removed to Cleveland, where he dealt largely in real estate and died quite wealthy, possessed of at least half a million; Naomi, married William Mitchell and removed to the Western Reserve. where she died; Laura, who died at Cleveland, unmarried; Alonzo, removed to Cleveland, and there married and resided till his death; John, died young; Sophia, married Asbury Sabine, and is now residing in Portage County with her daughter, the only surviving one of the family; Lucretia, married Solomon Dunton, who was a Methodist minister, and removed to Iowa, where she died, and Harris, married a lady of Portage County, and died in this township.
Ephraim Keyes was a native of New Hampshire.; his father was a native of Connecticut. He married Esther Rogers, and was the father of the following children: Loren, married Lydia Morse and died near Chuckery; Daniel, married Miss Betsey Carr; she died near Chuckery, and he married again and removed to Marion County, Ohio, where he died; Andrew, married Rebecca T, Sabine, and now resides in Marysville; Elias, married Mary Neal and subsequently removed to Mechanicsburg, where he died; Harriet died young, and William and John removed to the South, where they, died. Ephraim Keyes died in 1822.
George Brown, a native of Rhode Island, settled at Milford about 1820, while a young, single man, and opened a general store. Soon after, he returned to his native State, and married a Miss Carpenter and brought her to his new home in Union County. He was a man of energy and good business ability, and without doubt would have become a leading man of this community, but he was early cut off by death. His store was the first of any impor-
UNION TOWNSHIP. - 175
tance in Milford. They bud one child, which died in early childhood. Subsequently, his widow married Harvey Hovey. He was killed by being thrown from a horse, and she then married Harvey Burnham. By her last husband she had four children-Mary, George B., Henry and Martha.
Joseph Kennedy, a native of Pennsylvania, emigrated to Ohio with his wife and three sons - Hezekiah, John and Oliver-in 1805, and settled on the present site of Milford Center, Union County. John, the second son, was the father of Joseph M. Kennedy, now of Marysville. He was married in 1828, and moved immediately to Pike Township, Madison County, where his death occurred June 4, 1864. Joseph Kennedy, Sr., died at his home in Milford about 1831-32. His children born in Ohio were James, Ellen, Eliza, Othias, Joseph and William-all in Union Township. Most of them spent their lives in this county, and but one-Othias-is now known to be living, his residence being at Collingwood, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio. William died at Bellefontaine in 1862, having been for many years a resident of Logan County. He was the father of Hon. Robert P. Kennedy, now of Bellefontaine.
John and James Coolidge, natives of New York or New-England, settled on the Big Darby, one mile northwest of Milford, on Survey 4,277, and remained residents here till their deaths. The former was a farmer, and James a farmer and blacksmith. They were men of character and integrity, and good citizens. Some of their descendants still reside in the county.
Samuel Galloway was born in Massachusetts, but removed to New York while young and there married Miss Achsa Witter, a native of Connecticut. In 1814, he removed with his family to Ohio, and settled in Union Township, on the place where A. A. Woodworth now lives, and erected a log cabin on the site where Mr. Woodworth's house now stands. Soon after locating, while hunting, he shot a deer, and thinking the animal dead he walked up to it with knife in hand to cut its throat, when the dear sprang up, pushed his horn into his chest and tore - out some of his lungs; and there he and the deer were both found in the evening, the latter dead, and Mr. Galloway so weak he could not get home They carried him home, and he finally recovered, so as to preach as he was a minister in the Christian Church-but be never became able to perform hard manual labor after the injury. He made a journey to New York State, and returned. While absent on a second journey to that State, he was taken sick and died in 1820-21 from the effects of the wound made by the deer. He left eight children, four of whom were born in New York State and four in Union Township, viz.: Amanda, John, Samuel and James R. in New York; Sabrah, Elijah, Joshua and Joseph in this township. Mrs. Galloway remained here with her family till about 1822, when, becoming fascinated with Shakerism, she removed to their settlement in Warren County, Ohio, where she and her daughter Sabrah remained through life. But prior to their death, the other children all became dissatisfied, left the Shakers, and all married and settled in life. Amanda married David Wright; he died in Iowa, and his widow now resides in Kansas with her children, on. John married Matilda Cox, and died in Champaign County, Ohio, from a fall from a tree. Samuel married Prudence Babbitt, and resides in Indiana. James R. married Harriet B. Miller, and resides at Milford Center. Elijah married Sarah Jane Beatty, and resides in Iowa. Joshua married, and lives in Illinois; and Joseph married Mary Moran, and they now reside in Illinois. Samuel Galloway was a man of excellent character, and was a much esteemed and respected citizen; all his children now living are walking, in his footsteps, living lives of usefulness, and doing honor to their ancestor.
James C. Miller was born December 14, 1797, in the State of New York. In 1814, he came to Ohio, with his uncle, Samuel Colver, and settled in this