CHAPTER IV. Part B - Pages 41-46
was adopted, which then and since that time has been signed by the following-named physicians, as members of the association, viz.:(re-alphabetized by webmaster.)
The honorary members are as follows:
The regular meetings of the association occur on the third Wednesdays
of June, September, December, and March. The annual meeting is held in June each year at Howell. Other meetings
are held alternately with Brighton and Fowlerville.
THE LEGAL PROFESSION
| The first attorney who established in the business of his profession in Livingston
County was James W. Stansbury, who came to Livingston County in 1837, locating as an attorney in the village of
Pinckney. In November, 1836, he was elected judge of probate, succeeding Kinsley S. Bingham in that office.
It was under him that the first business of the Probate Court was done at Pinckney, where it was always held during
his term of office. Mr. Stansbury, though never regarded as a very able lawyer, was quite literary in his tastes
and acquirements, and stood well in the community as an honest and trustworthy man. About 1850 he removed from
Pinckney to Ithaca, New York. He is now living in Danville, Illinois.
Wellington A. Glover, the earliest of Howell's attorneys, settled in that village in 1833, and opened his office in the rear of Edward F. Gay's store. He was a fair lawyer, but never acquired a very lucrative business here. In politics he was strongly Whig, and it has been thought by some that his business might have been more prosperous if he bad been politically with the dominant party in Livingston. His Whig principles, however, secured for him the postmastership of Howell under the Harrison administration in the spring of 1841. He also held, by appointment, the office of prosecuting attorney of Livingston County at about the same time. He died in Howell in 1843.
Daniel C. Marsh located as an attorney in Brighton in 1839, and was appointed prosecuting attorney of Livingston County in 1841. He is still living in Brighton, but has retired from the practice of his profession.
Josiah Turner, a native of Vermont, who had emigrated from that State to Michigan, and stopped for a time in Ann Arbor, came from that place to Livingston County, and established as an attorney, at Howell, in 1840. Since that time he has been almost constantly in public office, though not by his own seeking. Immediately after his arrival in Howell, he was made master in chancery, and at the commencement of the following year assumed and performed the duties of county clerk, though nominally the deputy of Jesse Mapes, who had been elected to the office. In February, 1842, Mr. Turner was appointed by the court to the office of clerk, to fill the term of Mr. Mapes, who resigned at that time. In November, of that year, he was elected to the same office and was re-elected in 1844. In November, 1846, he was elected county judge, and re-elected in 1850. During these eight or ten years immediately following his settlement in Howell, besides attending to the duties of his offices, and also being at different times engaged in mercantile ventures, he kept up the business of his profession, and steadily prospered in it. He was elected judge of probate in 1856. In
|May, 1857, he was appointed judge of the Supreme Court, and in the following November was elected circuit
judge of the Seventh judicial Circuit, which office he has held (by re-election in 1863, 1869, and 1875) until
the present time. The popularity of Judge Turner in the county of his adoption is shown by the fact that at the
time of his re-election, in 1869, he received three thousand four hundred and eighty-nine votes, out of a total
of three thousand five hundred and sixty-nine cast in Livingston for that office; and again, in 1875, he received
four thousand two hundred and forty-seven votes out of the four thousand two hundred and sixty cast in the county.
In the year 1860, judge Turner removed from Howell to Owosso, Shiawassee County, as a more central point in his
judicial circuit, and he still resides there.
Frederick C. Whipple, a native of Connecticut, and a graduate of Union College, in New York, came to Michigan in 1840, and after a short stay in Ann Arbor came to Livingston County, where he was admitted to practice in May, 1841, and immediately established himself in his profession at Brighton. He was the first editor of the Livingston Courier, established in that village by Nicholas Sullivan, in 1843. In the year 1846 he removed to Howell, where he lived during the remainder of his brilliant professional career, in which he stood confessedly at the head of the bar of Livingston County, and was regarded as one of the best jury lawyers in the State of Michigan. He held the office of prosecuting attorney (by appointment) for several years, was elected judge of probate in 1848, re-elected in 1852, and was elected Circuit Court commissioner in 1868. He died in the township of OceoIa, on the twenty-second of March, 1872. Immediately after his death, the Howell Lodge, No. 38, F. and A. M. (of which he had been a member and a Past Master), adopted the following resolution:
"Whereas, The all-wise Governor of the Universe has seen fit to call our brother, Frederick C. Whipple, late Past Master of this lodge, from this transitory world to his more immediate presence in His spiritual temple; therefore, be it
"Resolved, That in this dispensation of Divine Providence we recognize the loss of one who was ever a generous and public-spirited citizen; an eminent lawyer; a kind husband and father, and a faithful friend; and whose early life and brilliant intellect gave promise of future greatness unsurpassed; and whose memory will linger long in the hearts of his neighbors, acquaintances, and friends."
George W. Peck commenced business as an attorney, in Brighton, in 1842, and in that or the following year entered into a law partnership with F. C. Whipple. Mr.
|Peck was elected and served as representative in the Michigan Legislature of 1846, and as representative
in the Thirty-fourth Congress in 1855-57. He was a good talker, and very effective before a jury, but was not a
profound lawyer. The profession was distasteful to him, and in the year 1847 he abandoned it, and afterwards removed
to Lansing. He is now connected, in some capacity, with a coal-mining enterprise in Missouri.
Lauren K. Hewett came from Washtenaw County to Howell, in May, 1842. He never ranked high as a lawyer. In 1857 he removed hence to Lansing, where he engaged in banking business, at which he was not more successful than he had been in the law.
Lewis H. Hewett, then a lawyer of Ann Arbor, was admitted to practice in the courts of Livingston County, in November, 1839, and about four years later located as an attorney in Howell, where, in partnership with his brother, be formed the law firm of L. H. and. L. K. Hewett. L. H. Hewett succeeded F. C. Whipple as editor of the Livingston Courier, on its removal to Howell, in 1843. He was a fair lawyer, though careless and desultory in his methods. After five years stay in Howell he removed to Detroit, where he died suddenly.
Richard B. Hall located in Howell, in 1843. He held the office of justice of the peace and some minor offices during his stay here, and left in 1848. He was what is known as a good fellow, told good stories, and was quick at repartee, but no more than ordinary as a lawyer. He is now a detective officer in California.
James H. Ackerson also located in Howell in 1843, and remained there about five years, during which time he was once or twice elected justice of the peace, but it does not appear that he ever stood high in his profession, The Hon. J. W. Turner, in an address before the Pioneer Society, thus mentions him:
"At an early day there lived in Howell a lawyer named Ackerson, who at one time, I believe, boarded at Benjamin J. Spring's hotel. It was supposed by many that Ackerson would not hesitate, in a pinch, to use all the arts of a pettifogger. And, indeed, on one occasion, a man who was really guilty, but who was arrested for larceny on a defective warrant, got the privilege from the arresting officer to come down from the country and see Ackerson before he appeared to answer to the charge. His attorney of course discovered the invalidity of the process and arranged that he would come out and break down the papers for a consideration, as well as 'run off' the defendant before another paper could be issued. Of course,
|when Ackerson went out to attend the suit, he rode one horse and led another; and some one who remarked
his leaving town in that manner, spoke to Spring about it some time during the same day. Spring's reply was that
Ackerson does a law and livery business both!" Mr. Ackerson removed from Howell in the spring of 1848, and
returned to the State of New York.
John B. Dillingham commenced the practice of, the law in Howell in or about 1845, and remained here until about 1859, when he removed to, East Saginaw. He held the office of prosecuting attorney of Livingston County for the term succeeding the election of 1856. He was a man of large heart and a good lawyer. He died in Howell, while on a visit, or business trip here, from Saginaw.
Justin Lawyer settled at the county-seat as an attorney in 1846. He remained here but a few years, and removed to Union City, Branch County, Michigan. He now resides in the city of Coldwater.
Charles C. Ellsworth came from Vermont in 1846, and commenced reading law in the office of judge Turner. He was admitted to the bar in 1848, and, having married a daughter of Mr. Edward F. Gay, of Howell, removed to Greenville,
Montcalm County, Michigan, in 1851. He is a lawyer of excellent ability, and was elected to represent the district in which he resides, in the Forty-fifth Congress.
Another of the law students of Judge Turner was John F. Farnsworth, who read in his office in 1842-43. He was never a member of the Livingston bar, but removed to St. Charles, Illinois, where he established himself in the profession, and has since served in Congress as representative from that district.
William A. Clark commenced the practice of the law in Brighton, about 1848. He Was elected prosecuting attorney of Livingston County in 1850
(being the first who filled that office by election), and was re-elected in 1852, about which time he removed to Howell. Some twelve to fifteen years later he removed to Saginaw City.
Henry H. Harmon was a teacher in the Howell schools in the winter of 1847-48. After the close of his term, in the spring of the latter year, he commenced reading law in the office Of Lewis H. Hewett, and was admitted in 1849. He was elected Circuit Court commissioner in 1852, prosecuting attorney in 1854, and judge of probate in 1864. He has accumulated a comfortable fortune in the profession, and is still in practice in Howell.
Mylo L. Gay, read law "in the office of F. C. Whipple, and was admitted to the bar
|in 1853, but has never practiced in the courts. He is now a banker at Fowlerville, but resides in Howell.
Marcus B. Wilcox was a lawyer of fine ability, an excellent and affable gentleman, and an upright man, against whom no word of reproach could ever be truly spoken. He was established in the practice of his profession at Pinckney soon after 1850, but afterwards moved to Howell. He was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney in 1860, and again in 1866. Soon after the close of his term he died in Howell village.
Sardis F. Hubbell, although the first law student in Livingston County (in the office of Wellington A. Glover, in 1840-41), did not commence practice here until fourteen years later. He completed his studies with Hon. A. C. Baldwin, at Milford, Oakland County, and was admitted to the bar in that county in December, 1846. He then practiced for eight years in Oakland, and removed thence to Howell, in the spring of 1854. He was elected Circuit Court commissioner in the same year, and to the office of prosecuting attorney in 1858, 1862, and 1864. He is still a resident in Howell, and engaged in the profession which has given him a competence.
Andrew D. Waddell, a native of Steuben County, New York, came in childhood with his parents to settle in Howell township, but on the death of his father, in 1837, returned with the family to New York, where, after reaching maturity, he commenced the study of the law. In 1855 he returned to Howell, completed his reading in the office of John B. Dillingham, and was admitted to practice by judge Sanford M. Green, in October, 1856. One month after his admission he was elected Circuit Court commissioner, and was again elected to the same office in 1860. In 1872 he was elected prosecuting attorney, and re-elected in 1874. He now resides in Howell, and is one of the most prominent members of the Livingston bar.
Jerome W. Turner was only about three years old when he came with his father, judge Josiah Turner, to settle in Livingston County. Passing the years of his childhood and youth "principally in Howell he commenced the study of the law at an early age, was admitted to the bar in March, 1857, and commenced business with, Judge Frederick C. Whipple. After a year or two of practice in Howell, he removed to Corunna, Shiawassee County, and was there re-elected to the State Senate in November, 1868. In 1871 he removed to Owosso, where he still resides. Mr. Turner is ranked among the best lawyers of the State of Michigan.
The foregoing mention of early attorneys intended
to include those who were located in business in the county during a period of twenty years from its organization -- is based on information obtained from judge Turner and others, who are necessarily well acquainted with the subject.
THE PRESENT BAR OF LIVINGSTON
The, bar of Livingston County at the present time is composed of the following-named gentlemen, viz.:(re-alphabetized by webmaster)
LIVINGSTON CIVIL LIST
In this list the names are given of those persons who have held county offices in Livingston; and also of citizens of the county who have held important offices in or under the State or national government.
UNITED STATES SENATOR
Kinsley S. Bingham
GOVERNOR OF MICHIGAN
JUDGE OF THE SUPREME COURT
REPRESENTATIVE IN CONGRESS
Kinsley S. Bingham, elected in 1846; re-elected in 1848
*Convened at Ann Arbor, September 26, 1836.
DELEGATES TO CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION OF 1850 ¤
REPRESENTATIVES IN THE
JUDGES OF PROBATE
REGISTERS OF DEEDS
The first prosecuting attorney for Livingston County was James Kingsley, of Ann Arbor, who was appointed as such by the court, for the first term; held in Livingston, November, 1837. Those who held the office by appointment during the period from 1837 to 1850 (when it became elective) were the following-named persons, viz.:*
The list of prosecuting attorneys who have held the office by election is as follows:
*This list is furnished by judge Turner, who is unable to give from memory the dates and duration of their respective terms of service.
© 1997 - 2002 All Rights Reserved CFC Productions - http://www.LivGenMI.com/1880chapter4b.htm